Hi, everybody! Yep, it’s time. Back by popular demand (and to remind myself, in addition to all of you), it’s the New Year’s Eve Ritual. Here’s how it goes:
Years ago a friend of mine told me about his Korean mother-in-law’s tradition for New Year’s Eve. Her theory was that you want to go into the new year the way you want the rest of the year to go. If you want abundance, ease, order, fun, etc., these are among the things you do:
- Fill your car with gas.
- Fill your cupboards and refrigerator with groceries.
- Put money in your pocket.
- Catch up on your bookkeeping/bills.
- Clean your house.
- Catch up on your laundry and ironing.
- Clear out any old clothes in your closet that don’t fit or that you don’t absolutely love anymore, and give them away so someone else can start enjoying them right now.
- Catch up on your beauty routine (get a fresh haircut or color your hair, do your nails, shave/wax, etc.)
- Eat the kind of food that you love.
- Pick an event for yourself on New Year’s Eve that symbolizes the kinds of things you want to do more of in the coming year.
- Write yourself a love note, look yourself in the eye in the mirror, tell yourself how much you love you.
- Be loving to yourself: pamper yourself, forgive yourself, deem incomplete things finished, really give yourself the clean slate you want and deserve.
That’s just the base list to get you started. The fun is in adding your own items year by year. Maybe you want to spend the day reading, to make sure you read more books in 2018. Or maybe you want to see a great movie. Or spend time with your loved ones. Or get more sleep! Pick something you’ve been meaning to move to the top of your list for the coming year, then treat yourself to it right away. We all need to practice being sweeter to ourselves. The day leading into the new year seems like an excellent time to start.
Enjoy your fresh start! And Happy 2018 everyone!